The Manager Product Management will lead of a team of Product Managers who manages a certain Product area/domain, focusing on defining the vision and strategy for their respective product area based on market research, customer and stakeholder needs, company goals and strategy, and market trends.
This position is functionally aligned to the Merchandise Planning and Programming Domains. The actual presentation of our merchandise's story to our customers begins with programming the events across all of our selling platforms and continues with detailed planning of which products are included in each program, which includes more than just the on-air broadcast. We are looking to elevate our strategic planning and merchandising capabilities that influence buying and planning decisions to ensure our customers are consistently offered the best product assortment.
The key facets of the product scope include:
- Assortment Planning & Programming
- Promotion/Markdown Optimization
- Product Pricing
- Product Upsells
- Merchandise Financial Planning
What You’ll Do
Product Strategy & Vision
- Defines the vision and strategy for the product line/program based on market research, user and stakeholder needs, an understanding of company goals and strategy, and by looking at the current state of success of their products.
- Regularly communicates vision, direction and progress to development teams, management and stakeholders, e.g. in Value Stream Leadership Forums or Planning Meetings.
- Works with portfolio management on which outside requests make it onto the product roadmap and when.
- Ensures tight integration of strategic and tactical decisions by maintaining regular communication with their Product Managers. The Manager, Product Management ensures that strategic decisions effectively guide tactical ones taken by the Product Manager, as well as tactical insights, such as user feedback on specific features or a slower than anticipated development progress, inform the strategic decisions.
- Works with associate Managers to prioritize features and capabilities from other work streams/divisions within the enterprise.
- Proactively prepares recommendations on changes in product priorities leveraging a variety of sources and data and drives decision process.
Outcome, Value Contribution, and Continuous Improvement - Agile Development
- Responsible for the success of their product; Defines product KPIs in collaboration with business stakeholder group
- Facilitates a product development approach focused on minimum viable product; Actively leverages KPIs to analyze and improve Product.
- Regularly discusses industry trends with team; Presents product vision to the team, and regularly shares product strategy as the path to achieve this vision. Draws the connection between the actual work and the broader product strategy.
- Identifies and removes impediments; Facilitates conversations with leadership and teams on ways to improve velocity, remove barriers and drive outcome.
- Acts as an advocate for lean product development, can spread lean thinking across teams and drives the teams to deploy usable, product-ready software at the end of each sprint.
- Works with stakeholders to create buy-in, educate, socialize roadmaps, respond to business needs and prioritize new features and capabilities. Builds and maintains a global network of stakeholders and subject matter experts and ensure open and frequent communication; Responsible for understanding the considerations and constraints of the various stakeholders, and bringing this knowledge into the team.
- Builds trust among stakeholders that the Product Management team is going to solve their problems and will ensure solutions that work well for them; Partners with stakeholders to understand business/ customer challenges and is seen by business partners as key resource to drive new developments and capabilities and is expected to possess persuasion and negotiation skills and use them in a tactful and diplomatic fashion. They have the ability to communicate appropriately at all levels of the organization, including written, verbal and visual communication.
- Can effectively manage business stakeholders within their product area/domain and with supporting areas such as Legal, Finance, etc., mediate in case of conflicting needs/ priorities between stakeholders and drive alignment on priorities for Product/ Technology (within their domain) between different parties.
- Facilitates conversations with external vendors/ 3rd parties to drive product development for their area.
Product Discovery & Requirements
- Decides which area of the product to focus on next for product discovery based on product strategy and vision, and business impact. Connects different sources, research results, and KPIs to drive a more focused product discovery process. Effectively leverages team members' strengths to improve results and utilizes senior team members to educate and build up less experienced team members.
- Leverages product discovery outcomes to facilitate conversations within the team and with stakeholders to align on product direction and priorities; Ensures Product Discovery is an integrated process with all team members participating.
- Guides Product Management team in leveraging the appropriate tools and methodologies to effectively evaluate customer needs and assess product ideas
- Drives strategic decisions on solutions/ external partners to meet business requirements and ensure technical integrity.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in a suitable area such as Engineering, Digital Media, etc. or a combination of education and experience; Master’s degree in a suitable area such as Engineering, Digital Media, etc. preferred
- 8+ years of related experience serving as a Product Manager in an agile environment
- Experience communicating and representing work to senior leadership and framing discussions to gain valuable feedback
- Experience leading a team to deliver technical products from inception to delivery to drive product impact
- Analytical and problem-solving experience
- Experience working in a retail environment