Primary responsibilities include technical operations support in setup, maintenance, troubleshooting and operation of PLC controlled automatic packaging equipment. Strong electrical mechanical diagnostic and troubleshooting skills are required to effectively support and assist in the repair and maintenance of automated packaging and sensing equipment as required. Maintains a cGMP production environment and standards throughout the production area(s). Adheres to workplace environmental, health and safety (EHS) guidelines and procedures while actively promoting and enforcing adherence.
Essential Duties will require a close-knit integration with various departments including, Quality, Validation, and Engineering. Customer interaction may be required on a as needed basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
- Sets up various automated packaging equipment systems including removal of previous tooling, removal and replacement of covers and guarding for access of cleaning crew.
- Operations support for production of pharmaceutical packaging lines.
- Removes/repairs or replaces defective parts.
- Logs data into process check sheets.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and repair machine breakdowns in conjunction with maintenance and engineering personnel.
- Performs electromechanical troubleshooting including fuse testing, motor and relay replacement, and robotic component handling systems, PLC controllers, sensors, setup and adjustment of online printing, barcode scanning, and OCR/OCV vision equipment.
- Performs all Preventative, On Demand Maintenance and calibration activities, oversees OEM support and calibration specialist personnel, and appropriately documents all activities per Sharps procedures.
- Initiates Blue Mountain work orders for all On Demand maintenance activities.
- Assists in equipment installation, qualification and commissioning activities.
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics, mechanical drawings, and OEM technical documents.
- Ability to assist with authoring, or reviewing technical documents such as Work Instructions and Master Packaging Records
- Verify the Calibration status of measuring gauges including Temperature Controllers and related Thermocouples, Air and Vacuum gauges, and Timers.
- Helps train and develop Machine Operators and new mechanic hires.
- Corresponds with team members and attends project meetings when required.
- Ability to travel internationally as part of an extended team to support new equipment purchases when necessary.
Supervision of outside contractors including OEM technicians, specialists and facility contractors where necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Windows Word, Excel, Outlook, and general PC literacy essential.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Technical School certifications or Associates degree in a technical field and 4+ years experience in automated packaging, industrial maintenance or advanced electro mechanical trade. A strong desire to learn new systems and expand individual knowledgebase is mandatory.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to troubleshoot issues under high demand situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.