Information Technology Specialist (Custspt) 12 Month Roster/Register
Internal Revenue Service
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view
being considered and other
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS?
Visit us on the web at
WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT)
A description of the business units can be found at:
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: Information Technology
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
Performs the following, as routine assignments under close supervision:
- Participate in the planning and delivery of customer support services to the organization; install, configure, upgrade, and troubleshoot mainframe (Tier I) hardware and software components; present formal and informal training and assistance to customers; and report, respond to, and resolve customer requests.
- Receive, respond to, and ensure resolution of help center calls; document actions taken; give needed guidance or training to customers to prevent recurrences; and assist more experienced specialists in resolving very complex problems.
- Install, configure, and test software on customer workstations.
- Provide technical advice and assistance on small local projects. Identify computer requirements and limitations to help define user problems and needs.
- Assist with feasibility studies of proposals, considering costs and benefits. Participate in long range or major implementation initiatives, and independently conduct a phase such as planning, implementation, and evaluation of mainframe (Tier I) systems.Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or
One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
BASIC REQUIREMENT :
Experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
One year IT-related experience which was at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-4 grade level in the Federal service. IT related experience for this position includes: Basic knowledge of IT processing functions to understand the stages to automate a work process. Experience must have also included work with clients and customers to assess and/or address their needs and provide information or assistance relative to the products or services; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and identify and resolve problems, determine relevant information, demonstrate using sound judgment, and making recommendations. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
A bachelor's degree or equivalent degree at an accredited college or university in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management OR bachelor's degree in one or more of the fields identified above that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to 4 years. You may combine the college credits you completed with any qualifying experience you have to total the equivalent of a four-year college education.
For more information on qualifications please refer to
OPM's Qualifications Standards
Share this job