The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University is seeking applicants for the position of Software Engineer for existing and new projects. In this position, you will work on a variety of software and embedded systems that are used in the robotics perception systems. You will have an opportunity to collaborate on an internal team and with sponsoring partners to support the work through all lifecycle stages.
Our team has members with diverse backgrounds both in robotics and other industries aligned to make robust software and firmware that is useful in the world. Projects you may support range from industrial machine operator assist systems to agricultural productivity tools and beyond to other automation, autonomy, or safety systems. Your day-to-day work will include: interfacing and programming for custom sensors and hardware, debugging prototypes, and integrating your work and other software modules into complex systems.
Your primary responsibilities include:
Design, develop, document, test, troubleshoot, and maintain software applications and integrated systems for both robotic and general-purpose applications. This may include:
- Creating and maintaining development tools and infrastructure for robotic systems.
- Adapting and integrating proprietary and open-source software packages and APIs.
- Building new tools for software communication, logging, and data analysis.
- Gathering and contributing to functional specifications and solution requirements from internal teams and external project sponsors.
- Supporting users by resolving questions and correcting system issues.
- Participating in the development lifecycle including: design, code reviews, software testing, and full robot system testing.
- Surveying literature and implementing state of the art techniques to solve challenging problems.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience (Any more is a bonus)
- 1-3+ years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience.
- Demonstrated understanding and use of software engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic computer vision principles.
- Proficient C++ skills.
- Experience with scripting languages for quick prototyping (Python preferred).
- Linux development experience.
- Experience with network communications and protocols.
- Solid technical communication skills.
- Demonstrated success working as part of a cross-functional team.
We especially want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Computer vision, robotics, machine learning, scientific computing, simulation, or graphics.
- Embedded or real time-systems engineering.
- Embedded Linux.
- Data science or data management.
- Networking interfaces and applications.
- Developing hardware drivers.
- Software Architecture development and requirements development.
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with the and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by side- with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
- Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 160 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
Opportunities people at NREC have seized:
As a member of NREC, you have the opportunity to take control of your career. People in similar roles have shaped their careers to suit their interests and their needs.
- Becoming an in-depth expert in a technical area
- Leading projects and fostering client relationships
- Receiving mentoring from senior engineers and robotics experts
- Mentoring junior engineers
- Taking courses at Carnegie Mellon
- Staying connected with academic and recreational activities at Carnegie Mellon
- Transitioned into a robotics, program management, technical lead, or software architecture roles
- Performing consulting during off time
- Outreach to K-12 and college-level students
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job FunctionSoftware/Applications Development/Engineering
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full Time/Part timeFull time
- Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
- Statement of Assurance