Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? Visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.govWHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
10 Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: Information Technology, Enterprise Operations
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Leading the implementation of security programs designed to anticipate, assess, and minimize system vulnerabilities, coordinating the implementation of security programs across platforms (Tier I, II and III) and establishing vulnerability reporting criteria.
- Reviewing proposed new systems, networks, and software designs for potential security risks, recommending mitigation or countermeasures, and resolving integration issues related to the implementation of new systems within the existing infrastructure.
- Providing authoritative advice to other specialists in disaster recovery, business continuity, and operating systems security, and developing and implementing IRS-wide guidelines.
- Developing contingency plans (Disaster Recovery or Business Continuation Plans for information technology systems) to ensure availability and accessibility of network resources in the event of emergencies.
- Developing long-range plans for IT security systems that anticipate, identify, evaluate, mitigate, and minimize risks associated with IT systems vulnerabilities.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-13 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving. Specialized experience for this position includes: Experience that demonstrates accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project. To be qualifying your experience must be sufficient to demonstrate your ability to work difficult and complex programs which will include establishing, implementing, and interpreting the security requirements. Examples of qualifying experience include: Coordinating the review and evaluation of the agency infrastructure protection program, including policies, guidelines, tools, methods, and technologies; Identifying current and potential problem areas; Updating or establish new requirements; and making recommendations for a fully compliant infrastructure protection program to be implemented throughout the agency.
MEET TIME IN GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT: For positions above the GS-05, applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year (52 weeks) at the next lower grade level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the grade you are applying for.
TIME AFTER COMPETITIVE APPOINTMENT: By the closing date (or if this is an open continuous announcement, by the cut-off date) specified in this job announcement, current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest non-temporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment. For this requirement, a competitive appointment is one where you applied to and were appointed from an announcement open to "All US Citizens".
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.