This position is located at Gettysburg National Military Park, in the Landscape Preservation Branch of the Maintenance Division.
This is a Career/Career-Conditional, Career Seasonal Full-Time appointment.
Entrance on Duty is March/April 2021
This is a permanent Career-Seasonal position and subject to release and recall procedures. A permanent career-seasonal position includes all the benefits of permanent employment, but does not provide employment on a full year-round basis. Non pay time for this position will be pay period 1 though 6 annually.
Major duties are as follows:
- Operates 49 horsepower (or higher) diesel powered 4x4 industrial type tractors with attachments
- Operates sedans, station wagons, vans, trucks
- Performs operator's preventive maintenance and inspections on equipment.
- Mows fields, etc.
- Operates and maintain motorized equipment such as: mowers, weed eaters, etc.
- Performs paved and unpaved trail maintenance tasks.
- Makes road repairs.
- Removes dead, hazardous, and fallen trees and limbs from roadways, trails and park grounds.
- Constructs and repairs a variety of historic and non-historic type fencing.
- Performs turf maintenance.
To Qualify for the Tractor Operator, WG-5705-07 position you must be able to demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skill and ability to perform the duties of the position without more than normal supervision. Experience is defined as: 1)Safe operation of motor vehicles; 2)Safe operation of 45-55 horsepower industrial type diesel tractors and attached or towed equipment over rough terrain and/or steep slopes while avoiding numerous obstacles; 3)independently solves problems and performs duties safely; 4)maintain and use tools and equipment relating to cultural preservation/rehabilitation/maintenance of historic landscapes and trails; 5) able to interpret and follow directions, 6) able to use computers, maintain records and perform simple arithmetic calculations; 7) possess and maintain a Class C driver's license.
Physical Demands: Moderate to heavy physical effort may be required in operating equipment, in lifting 45-100 pounds. (i.e. lifting trash containers, moving tables and benches, loading and unloading cargo, in repairing/constructing roads, trails and fences, using hand tools to dig and backfill ditches, etc.) Required to walk, climb, bend, crouch, stretch, sit, work in cramped areas, work on ladders/scaffolding, in trees at varied heights.
Working Conditions: Work is performed mostly outdoors, sometimes in dusty, wet, windy conditions, in extreme temperatures occasionally reaching 90 plus degree temperatures with high humidity. Work is performed on uneven terrain and steep slopes presenting a high degree of exposure to potential injury and equipment damage. At times work is performed in an open driver's seat which could expose the operator to exhaust fumes depending on weather conditions. There is a chance of receiving injuries such as broken bones, lacerations, sprains, bruises, etc. There is a chance of receiving long term injuries to joints or muscles as a result of repetitive movements being completed several times a day for several days.
AREA INFORMATION: Gettysburg National Military Park (GETT) consists of more than 6,000 acres and preserves, protects and interprets for this and future generations the resources associated with the 1863 Battle of Gettysburg, during the American Civil War, the Soldiers' National Cemetery, and their commemorations. Learn more at http://www.nps.gov/gett
To qualify for this position, you must have sufficient knowledge and ability in the following job-related factors:
If your knowledge and ability in the SCREEN OUT factor above is not sufficient, you will receive no further consideration. In preparing your application, describe in detail the experience and training which you have had that specifically prepared you for this job and to perform the duties described for this job. Experience should be clearly described and documented in your resume. The qualifications reviewer will not assume performance of such duties by Job Titles alone. Address your knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the areas shown in the job-related factors.
- Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision (SCREEN OUT)
- Work Practices (Includes keeping things neat, clean and in order)
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc.
- Operation of Motor Vehicles
- Ability to Drive Safely (Motor Vehicles)
- Ability to Operate Safely (Non Motor Vehicle)
- Reliability and Dependability as a Tractor Operator
WAGE GRADE INFORMATION: OPM Job Qualifications System for Trades and Labor Occupations (as specified in the Office of Personnel Management Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations), will be used in determining an applicant's qualifications. There is no specific length of training or experience required; however, the applicant must be able to demonstrate through experience shown in the resume materials that they possess the skill level that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of a Tractor Operator at the WG7 level without more than normal supervision.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
CREDITING EXPERIENCE INFORMATION: You will not receive any credit for any experience that does not indicate hours per week or is listed as "varies". Your description of experience, education and volunteer experience must be able to support any claim for qualifying for this position. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make any assumptions regarding your experience. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response.
ELIGIBILITIES INFORMATION:--You will not be considered for any eligibility that you do not select in the vacancy announcement pre-questionnaire. Please be sure to select all responses that apply to your eligibility.
PERFORMANCE EVALUATION INFORMATION:
You MUST provide a copy of your most current rated and signed Performance Evaluation. --Please see required documents section
- All applicants must submit their most recent performance appraisal showing the official rating of record and signed by a supervisor or, if one is unavailable, a statement as to why it is not available (including if any prior performance appraisals/evaluations were at an acceptable level).
- Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.