Co-op: Digitalization and Continuous Improvement (Summer 2024)
Volvo Group Trucks Operations (GTO) is the truck industrial entity within the Volvo Group responsible for Truck manufacturing, including Cab & Vehicle Assembly, Powertrain Production, Logistics Services, Parts Distribution and Remanufacturing. Hagerstown’s group function is Powertrain Production. Powertrain production is one of the world's largest manufacturers of heavy-duty diesel engines for commercial vehicles. Powertrain production provides diesel engines and transmission systems to the Volvo Group Business Areas.
We are currently looking for students to work with our production teams as a Co-op: Digitalization and Continuous Improvement (Summer 2024). You should be prepared to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment, gaining experience and knowledge in various VPS Volvo Production System aspects. As a valued member of our team within GTO, you will have the opportunity to work directly on production focusing on increasing efficiency and quality while utilizing your engineering education and continuous improvement mindset. GTO’s goal is to contribute to your development, as well as provide an opportunity to work in a business environment within the manufacturing industry.
- Drive lean methodology
- Data Analysis and Quality Improvement
- Data analysis focus on standards and repeatability
- Quality and production process review and improvements
- Help facilitate continuous improvement and identify opportunities on your own to implement
- Participate in project planning, implementation and improvements
- Works with the production teams on Problem Solving tools
- Assist with Plant Summer Shutdown planning activities
- Help on build Training Material on Problem Solving
- Assist in follow-up, reports and flow charts. Participate in functional meetings.
- Good attitude & continuous improvement mindset are critical to performing daily activities in this engineering role
- Attention to Detail: Provide accurate data and reports that are pertinent to the team’s tasks.
- Teamwork: Building cooperation among individuals and departments, sharing information and resources, and working to achieve group goals and outcomes.
- Communication: Listen effectively, transmit information accurately and understandably, and actively seek feedback from experienced engineers, project manager, etc.
- Dependability/Reliability: Follow through on commitments, timely delivery on projects, assigned tasks, etc.
- Flexibility: Willing to perform a wide range of tasks, positive responds to changes in direction and priorities, and acceptance of new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments.
Co-op Education and Program Requirements
- Applicant must be pursuing a Data Science and Analytics Degree at an accredited school and have completed 30 semester hours of undergraduate studies before starting the co-op.
- Co-ops are not enrolled in their academic courses during their co-op rotation and may work up to 40 hours per week.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- Strong communication skills.
- Valid US Work authorization.
- Customer Focus
- Technical Skills
- Peer Relationships
- Integrity and Trust
- Standing Alone
- Action Oriented
At the Volvo Group, we strive for a clear, transparent, and straightforward compensation approach, motivating you to contribute to the company’s growth. For all intern and co-op positions, the hourly range is set at $16.00 - $46.00. The hourly rate for these roles is determined by several factors including, but not limited to, geographic location, academic classification, and degree seeking area of study. In addition to these factors, we believe in the importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our current team members as part of any final offer.
We also offer the following benefits to interns and co-ops:
- Housing assistance
- Countless career opportunities / internal mobility across our global organization
- Training and personal development
We value your data privacy and therefore do not accept applications via mail.
Who we are and what we believe in
Our focus on Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity allows each of us the opportunity to bring our full authentic self to work and thrive by providing a safe and supportive environment, free of harassment and discrimination. We are committed to removing the barriers to entry, which is why we ask that even if you feel you may not meet every qualification on the job description, please apply and let us decide.
Applying to this job offers you the opportunity to join Volvo Group. Every day, across the globe, our trucks, buses, engines, construction equipment, financial services, and solutions make modern life possible. We are almost 100,000 people empowered to shape the future landscape of efficient, safe and sustainable transport solutions. Fulfilling our mission creates countless career opportunities for talents with sharp minds and passion across the group’s leading brands and entities.
Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s manufacturing of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks, as well as engines and transmissions. We also orchestrate the spare parts distribution for Volvo Group’s customers globally and design, operate and optimize logistics and supply chains for all brands. We count 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, where continuous improvement is the foundation. As our planet is facing great challenges, we - one of the largest industrial organizations in the world - stand at the forefront of innovation. We are ready to rise to the challenge. Would you like to join us?
Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer