The Pennsylvania Governor's School for the Sciences (PGSS) was established to provide a summer enrichment experience in the sciences and mathematics for hardworking rising high school seniors across Pennsylvania and to encourage them to pursue STEM careers. The program places an emphasis on collaborative learning and team research.
The PGSS is a 5-week STEM enrichment program. We are seeking multiple Teaching Assistants/Residential Counselors for summer employment for the 2024 session. These are excellent opportunities for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment.
Our particular focus is on five Core Subject Areas of:
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- Mathematical Sciences
The PGSS is a 5-week STEM enrichment program with a focus in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematical Sciences, and Physics. We are seeking multiple Teaching Assistants/Residential Counselors for summer employment for the 2024 session. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable managerial skills while working with passionate novice scientists.
Program Dates for PGSS 2024
- Arrival of TA/Counselor Staff; Begin orientation and training: Sunday, June 16, 2024.
- Arrival of student participants; PGSS Opening Ceremony: Sunday, June 23, 2024
- Departure of student participants: Saturday, July 27, 2024
- Departure of TA/Counselor Staff: Sunday, July 28, 2024
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with lecture and lab courses and mentoring team research projects.
- Living in the same dormitory as the PGSS students.
- Ensuring that students adhere to the PGSS disciplinary rules.
- Providing tutorial help in the academic program.
- Arranging and conducting social activities.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within Carnegie Mellon. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Strong academic records and strong communication skills.
- Prior experience with PGSS or a similar summer program is preferred.
- Applicants for TA/Counselor should have finished their sophomore year by the start of the summer program, highly qualified first-year students will also be considered.
- Successful background check
Joining the CMU team opens the door to an array of exceptional benefits, available to all full-time Carnegie Mellon University employees. Experience the full spectrum of advantages, from comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance to enticing retirement savings programs. Unlock your potential with tuition benefits, and take well-deserved breaks with generous paid time off and holidays. Rest easy knowing you are covered by life and accidental death and disability insurance. For a comprehensive overview of the benefits awaiting you, explore: https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance.
At Carnegie Mellon, we value the whole package when extending offers of employment. Beyond just credentials, we consider the role & responsibilities, your invaluable work experience, and the knowledge gained through education and training. We acknowledge and appreciate your unique key skills and the diverse perspectives you bring. Our commitment to fostering an inclusive work environment means we also account for geographic differentials. Your journey with us is about more than just a job; it’s about finding the perfect fit for your professional growth and personal aspirations.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
Job FunctionTeaching Assistants, RA's/CA's
Position TypeStaff – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Full Time/Part timeFull time
- Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
- Statement of Assurance