Robotics Hardware Engineer
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) is part of Carnegie Mellon’s Robotics Institute that specializes in research and development of robotics systems. We are currently seeking applicants for the position of Robotics Hardware Engineer. We are looking for people with both robotics and non-robotics experience. You will design and implement various electronic systems and printed circuit boards for computer and robotics systems.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Electronic systems design, implementation, and documentation
- In consultation with project managers and other researchers or engineers, contributing to the technical design and development of components and equipment used in research and development.
- Participate in hardware design process design, reviews, and testing
- BS in Electrical Engineering and evidence of consistent hands-on electrical system design experience through internships or undergraduate research
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Digital circuit design experience outside of a classroom setting
- Evidence of circuit design and PCB layout required; Knowledge of how to use Altium Designer is a plus
- Familiarity working with sensors through protocols such as CAN, TCP/UDP, SPI, I2C, UART, etc.
- Experience programming microcontrollers and exposure to FPGAs
- Experience with brushed and brushless motor controller design
- Experience with motion controllers and mechatronics
- Experience with custom smart battery design and development
- Experience with electromechanical systems integration through group projects, internships, or undergraduate research
- Experience selecting electrical components at both the PCB and system level.
- Experience prototyping circuits, PCB assembly and rework
- Cursory understanding of the impacts of mechanical requirements on an electrical system (thermal, mounting, maintenance, etc.)
- An eagerness to work in a dynamic, rapid design, prototype, and build environment
- A clear real passion for robotics and related fields
We especially want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Linux development environment
- Embedded computing
- Developing hardware drivers
- Machine vision systems
- Imaging and Illumination optics
- High speed PCB design
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop an array of innovative technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
- Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
Opportunities people at NREC have seized:
As a member of NREC, you have the opportunity to take control of your career. People in similar roles have shaped their careers to suit their interests and their needs.
- Becoming an in-depth expert in a technical area
- Leading projects and fostering client relationships
- Receiving mentoring from senior engineers and robotics experts
- Mentoring junior engineers
- Taking courses at Carnegie Mellon
- Staying connected with academic and recreational activities at Carnegie Mellong
- Transitioned into a robotics, program management, technical lead, or software architecture roles
- Performing consulting during off time
- Outreach to K-12 and college-level students
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and flourish with it for the benefit of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job FunctionEngineering, Research and Project Scientists
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full Time/Part timeFull time
- Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
- Statement of Assurance