If you're looking for seasonal employment and love the outdoors, the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) wants to talk to you! Why not spend your summer as a Lifeguard in one of our beautiful state parks?
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST APPLY TO THIS ONLINE EXAM POSTING, MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, COMPLETE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE YOUR SCORE PRIOR TO APPLYING TO A SPECIFIC VACANCY POSTING FOR THIS TITLE. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED VIA E-MAIL EACH TIME A SPECIFIC VACANCY FOR THIS JOB TITLE IS POSTED ON THE WEBSITE. YOU MUST SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH SPECIFIC VACANCY IN WHICH YOU ARE INTERESTED.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU APPLY TO A VACANCY POSTING PRIOR TO RECEIVING A SCORE, YOU WILL BE DEEMED INELIGIBLE. YOU WILL BE DIRECTED TO APPLY TO THIS EXAM POSTING AND COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS.
- Weather permitting, unless otherwise posted, public swimming facilities are generally open daily from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day
- Required to work weekends and any other day of the year
- Frequently scheduled to work overtime
- Required to purchase own swimsuits in a model specified by DCNR
- Work a 37.5 hour work week
- Lifeguards perform public safety responsibilities at state park swimming areas throughout the commonwealth. Vital duties include patrolling and surveying swimming areas to prevent swimmers from endangering themselves or others, enforcing park rules and regulations, and rescuing swimmers in distress
- Lifeguards are hired at the following state parks/counties:Codorus (York), Little Buffalo (Perry), Caledonia (Franklin), Bendigo (Elk), Mt. Pisgah (Bradford), Sizerville (Cameron), Blue Knob (Bedford), Frances Slocum (Luzerne), Lackawanna (Lackawanna), Nockamixon (Bucks), Ryerson Station (Greene), and Pine Grove Furnace (Cumberland)
- Apply today and help ensure safe recreation for your fellow Pennsylvanians!
- Must meet PA residency requirement; PA residency is currently waived for positions in Mount Pisgah State Park, Nockamixon State Park, Ryerson Station State Park, and Codorus State Park.
- Minimum Experience and Training Requirements: Possession of the necessary special requirements listed below:
- Necessary Special Requirement: Possession of a valid American Red Cross Basic Lifeguarding Certificate; OR a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate; OR a valid YMCA Lifeguard Training Certificate; AND possession of a valid American Red Cross Community First Aid and Safety Certificate; or any combination of valid certificates in standard first aid and adult, child and infant CPR
- Appointable candidates would need to provide proof of one of the below certifications at the time of the interview:
American Red Cross Basic Lifeguarding Certificate
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate
Valid YMCA Lifeguard Training Certificate
- Appointable candidates would need to provide proof that they have an American Red Cross Community First Aid and Safety Certificate; or any combination of valid certificates in standard first aid and adult, child and infant CPR at the time of interview.
- DO NOT SUBMIT THE REQUIRED CERTIFICATES OR COPIES OF THESE CERTIFICATES WITH YOUR APPLICATION
- Must be able to perform essential job functions
Veterans: Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, go to www.employment.pa.gov/Additional%20Info/Pages/default.aspx and click the Veterans' Preference tab or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS): 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to be an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity.
- Score based on information reported on application and supplemental questions
- Provide complete and accurate information or:
- score may be lower than deserved
- application processing may be delayed
- disqualification may result
- May retest 30 days after date of last exam
- Email notice of test results provided
- Only most recent exam scores is counted