Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? Visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.govWHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT)DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: Information Technology
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Receives, responds to, and ensures complete resolution of any service desk contacts (via telephone, chat, electronic media, service requests, events, incidents, and alerts); documents actions taken, provides needed guidance and/or training to customers to prevent recurrences; and assists experienced specialists in resolving complex problems. Being on the telephone to resolve customer issues is the primary support channel for this position.
- Assists higher-grade specialists in the delivery of customer support services to the organization, which may include configuration, installation, and maintenance of IT equipment and systems such desktops, laptops, government furnished devices, virtual devices (workstations, and applications), printers, and fax machines as well as any other IT support or relevant work.
- Awareness of and assists with basic computer or network devices such as "Break/Fix" and simple installation, additions, or changes to requirements for peripherals and device drivers.
- Serves as customer service support specialist with responsibility for resolving basic customer issues. Assists higher-graded specialists in the problem management process to include identifying resolutions; deploys resolutions to all affected workstations.
- Develops positive customer relationship by providing remote troubleshooting and resolution of end user password, hardware, and software problems via telephone (primary support channel).
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS GS-5 AND All GRADES:
Experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and
4) Problem Solving.
GS-5 LEVEL: To be eligible for this position at this grade level, you must meet one of the following requirements.
EXPERIENCE: One year IT-related experience which was at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-4 grade level in the Federal service. IT related experience for this position includes: Basic knowledge of IT processing functions to understand the stages to automate a work process. Experience must have also included work with clients and customers to assess and/or address their needs and provide information or assistance relative to the products or services; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and identify and resolve problems, determine relevant information, demonstrate using sound judgment, and making recommendations. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
EDUCATION: A bachelor's degree or equivalent degree at an accredited college or university in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management OR bachelor's degree in one or more of the fields identified above that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to 4 years. You may combine the college credits you completed with any qualifying experience you have to total the equivalent of a four-year college education.
TIME AFTER COMPETITIVE APPOINTMENT: By the closing date (or if this is an open continuous announcement, by the cut-off date) specified in this job announcement, current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest non-temporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment. For this requirement, a competitive appointment is one where you applied to and were appointed from an announcement open to "All US Citizens".
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.