The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
See “Other Information” for Locations.
WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION? The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
WHAT DOES AN IT Specialist (SYSTEMS ANALYSIS/ APPLICATIONS SOFTWARE) JAVA WE DO? As an Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Systems Analysis/ Applications Software) Java you will use a wide variety of information, knowledge, and tools to address complex system analysis and applications software assignments each day. As an applications developer, the work involves development and testing of software applications on an enterprise server platform; which may include conducting systems analysis, design, development, testing, installation and documentation in support of new or existing software products within IRS organizational components. The work may encompass difficult and complex systems analysis and applications software assignments, development of components of national projects and/or lead significant projects.
As an IT Specialist (Systems Analysis/Applications Software) Java you will:
- Develop or assist other developers with software applications for the PC/Server/Web portal environment, using languages and technologies such as Java, J2EE, XML, HTML, SOAP, SQL, DB2, Oracle, other object oriented language and/or other Web technologies.
- Evaluate and interpret comprehensive change requests and make recommendations to management.
- Plan, organize and/or lead corporate or large-scale studies, projects or team efforts, which include other subject matter specialists, and involve highly technical computer issues.
- Resolve critical issues affecting the configuration of the IT infrastructure and coordinate the demonstration of new and enhanced applications to customers and management.
- Investigate, evaluate and select tools and methods for improving productivity and software quality throughout the life cycle.
- Use applications such as Rational Application Developer for WebSphere, Rational Suite, Relational Database Applications, Erwin, Infragistics, Business Objects, ROBO Help, Adobe Framemaker, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Office, and use expertise in policies, procedures, and strategies to plan and deliver IT services.
- Research, evaluate, and report on new and emerging developments in the Internet services area; and recommend adoption of new technologies that will improve the delivery of PC/Server/Web portal environment for the agency.
- Formulate a comprehensive vision for future applications of the PC/Server/Web portal environment to meet agency missions, and develops business plans to align the PC/Server/Web portal environment with business requirements.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:GS-14 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving. Specialized experience for this position includes demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project. In addition to the above you must have comprehensive knowledge of Java standard and enterprise editions. Experience in designing/developing software applications for the PC/Server/Web Portal environment (Internet and/or Intranet) including knowledge of setting up a Web site, designing Web applications, Web Services, establishing Web interfaces, creating style sheets and links, and Web authoring, and publishing. Expert knowledge of IT security concepts, standards, and methods; project management principles, methods, and practices including developing plans and schedules; estimating resource requirements, defining milestones and deliverables, monitoring activities, and evaluating and reporting on accomplishments.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.