THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a HEALTH SYSTEMS SPECIALIST, Position Description Number D1171000 and is part of the PA Command Admin Office, National Guard.As a HEALTH SYSTEMS SPECIALIST, GS-0671-12, you will oversee and manage the medical readiness program of the state, which includes planning, coordinating, and providing guidance to all medical resources within the state. Develop, plan, coordinate, and institute medical policies to implement higher-level directives and federal law to provide optimum guidance and support to subordinate organizations. Represent the State Surgeon as the principal full-time medical advisor to The Adjutant General, Component Commanders, the Chief of Staff, and other directorate level staff elements, and as a liaison with all State, NGB, and Federal organizations concerning medical matters. Manage all resources budgeted to the state for medical programs. Supervise Preventive Medicine Section personnel. The majority of the subordinate positions are support positions in one-grade interval occupational series. Perform other duties as assigned.
1 or more Position(s) may be hired against this Announcement.
APPOINTMENT STATUS: EXCEPTED
This is a Dual Status Excepted Service Technician position in the Pennsylvania Army National Guard.
AREA OF CONSIDERATION:
Qualified current members of the Pennsylvania National Guard. (Army and/or Air)
Officer: O1 - O3
Supervisor for this position is CPT Renninger.
Army GS-12 Positions:
An Undergraduate Degree in Health Administration, Health Care Administration (or equivalent), Health Care Management, Health Management and Policy, Health Services Administration (or equivalent), Hospital Administration (or equivalent), or related fields such as, Primary Care Management. Other completed degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, Business Management, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Statistics, Information Systems Management, Biomedical Engineering, Clinical Engineering and Health Management/Health Systems Engineering, Operations Research or other closely-related degree fields.
A Graduate Degree in Health Administration, Health Care Administration (or equivalent), Health Care Management, Health Management and Policy, Health Services Administration (or equivalent), Hospital Administration (or equivalent), Accounting, Business Administration, Business Management, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Statistics, Information Systems Management, or other business-related equivalent.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: All series personnel must be certified at the next higher level before being eligible for that level and must have a minimum of one year on-the-job experience in a career skill competency level immediately below the next higher level. Must have validated understanding of the basic principles and concepts of the occupational series and grade.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to a high degree of analytical ability, positions in this series require specialized and expanded knowledge of the Health Service Program's principles and practices related to the management of healthcare delivery systems. Applicant must indicate at least 12 months experience, education, and training that resulted in competent skills and knowledge of the principles and practices related to the management of health care delivery systems. Have experiences in analyzing and recommending solutions to complicated problems related to health systems. Experiences must include a thorough and distinctive knowledge of health care delivery systems in regard to missions, organizations, programs, and requirements. Must have expert organizational skills; expert leadership competencies; articulate oral skills; exceptional writing skills; and endorsed experiences in briefing senior leaders on related subjects. Experiences in the medical service core functions, which are defined as health facilities; health plan management; medical resources; health care information management and information technology; medical logistics; or, medical readiness, to include aero-medical evacuation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES: Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be further evaluated by the nominating supervisor based on the following competencies considered essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge and skill in performing health services management; hospital administration and practice; contractual and accounting fundamentals; quality management; human resource management; and biometrics.
- Knowledge and skill in nursing standards of practice; medical executive skills/competencies; and medical contingency plans.
- Knowledge of 40 Series (Medical) Army regulations, Army Medical Department Regulations, Medical Command (MEDCOM) Regulations, and other pertinent Army Regulations
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative techniques for analyzing and measuring the effectiveness of the state medial program. This knowledge is applied in conducting studies, analyzing findings, and making recommendations on the state medical readiness programs to the State Surgeon.
- Knowledge of the mission, organization, and programs throughout the state, ARNG, and the NGB Surgeons Office, U.S. Army Medical Command, and the relationship of each to their supported activities.
- Knowledge of NGB strategic medical management objective and policies to develop guidance on techniques for effective implementation and operation of the state medical readiness program.
- Knowledge is used to develop procedures and directives to determine what to measure, how to measure, and define the results for program effectiveness.
- Knowledge of strategic organizational missions, policies and structures; U.S. Army Medical Command, the NGB Surgeons Office, and the relationship of each to their supported activities; State Medical, Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene programs and related military, public and private health care delivery systems to develop mid and long-range state ARNG plans and guidance to subordinate units.
- Knowledge of occupational health and industrial hygiene concepts, principles and practices to provide broad program oversight.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply medical readiness study findings and recommendations, and the communication skills to effectively advise senior leaders of actions required and gain their understanding of impact(s) on operations.
- Ability to present oral and written findings clearly and concisely.
QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE: Length of time is not of itself qualifying. Candidates' experience should be evaluated on the basis of duties performed rather than strictly on the rank of the individual; however, established compatibility criteria/assignments must be followed. The applicant's record of experience, training, and education must show possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the position to be filled.
SPECIAL NOTE: Per the Labor Relations Management Agreement if there are more than 15 qualified applicants for each position, by category, a KSA board will be convened in accordance with Section 17.8 of the LMRA.
PCS STATEMENT: PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION COSTS WILL NOT BE PAID FOR THIS POSITION.