The Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), Livestock & Poultry (LP) program is responsible for formulating and administering policies for marketing services and regulatory activities related to commodity grading and certification for meat, eggs and poultry.Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement, including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
FOR THE GS-05 LEVEL: Applicants must have three years of progressively responsible experience, one year of which was equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service (equivalent to the GS-04 grade level) (experience may have been obtained in private or public sectors), that demonstrates the ability to:
OR Applicants must have successfully completed a 4-year course of study, from an accredited college or university, leading to a bachelor's degree.
- Analyze problems, gather pertinent data and recognize solutions. Experience must provide evidence of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position. Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- General clerical experience (typing, filing, routine processing, or other non-specialized repetitive tasks) is not creditable.
FOR THE GS-07 LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-05 level) that demonstrates:
OR One full year of graduate level education in Agriculture, Mathematics, Engineering, Science, Business, Economics or a related field;
- Experience gained in production, quality control, inspection (if such experience involves quality determination), research or receiving of agricultural commodities using an applicable grading standard. Experience may have been gained in chain stores, military, or manufacturing.
OR Superior Academic Achievement: To qualify based on superior academic achievement, you must have completed the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution AND must meet certain GPA requirements. For more details click: Superior Academic Achievement
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on Superior Academic Achievement.
- This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-5/7 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.