THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a SAFETY SPECIALIST, Position Description Number D0696000 and is part of the PA State Saftey Office, National Guard.As a SAFETY SPECIALIST, GS-0018-09, you will provide safety related expertise to unit commanders and supervisors in the establishment of techniques and procedures for the elimination or control of unsafe acts (conditions), environments or hazards. Conduct safety assistance visits to units during annual
1 or more Position(s) may be hired against this Announcement.
training, convoy, range and other related tactical operations to ensure compliance will all safety regulations and guidelines and to minimize accident risk. Provides technical assistance in accident investigations. Collect, review, analyze, and investigate accident reports submitted to the State Safety and Occupational Health Office, Ground Safety Section. Conduct periodic and unscheduled surveys and inspections of ARNG facilities to determine compliance with Occupational Safety Health Act (OSHA) and other regulatory requirements. Prepare training materials and conduct safety training classes, demonstrations, seminars, pre-annual training briefings and
other briefings as required. Assist the senior safety specialist in the promotion of the safety programs. Conduct construction site inspections of facilities and contractor personnel to determine compliance with applicable safety code requirements (OSHA, National Fire Codes, etc.). Conduct surveys of indoor/outdoor ranges within the state. Assist in the preparation of regulatory, quarterly and annual safety reports and other documents required by NGB, U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and United States Army Safety Center(USASC). May attend and participate in unit safety council meetings to determine potential problem areas and provide guidance in proper safety procedures. Provide guidance to unit commanders in the storage, handling and transportation of munitions, explosives and hazardous materials. Perform other duties as assigned.
APPOINTMENT STATUS: EXCEPTED
This is a Dual Status Excepted Service Technician position in the Pennsylvania Army National Guard.
AREA OF CONSIDERATION:
Category 1: Qualified, currently employed Title 32 Federal Technicians working at the location specified in the job announcement.
Category 2: Qualified, currently employed Title 32 Federal Technicians of the Pennsylvania National Guard. (Army and/or Air)
Category 3: Qualified, currently employed Federal Employees (T5) or Federal Technicians (T32) within the Pennsylvania National Guard (Army and/or Air).
Category 4: Qualified current members of the Pennsylvania National Guard. (Army and/or Air)
WARRANT OFFICER WO1-CW5
Compatible Military Assignments:
Assignment to a compatible military position is not required for application but will be required if selected for appointment.
Supervisor for this position is LTC Fisher.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: All GS-0018 series personnel must be certified at the next higher level before being eligible for that level and must have a minimum of one year on-the-job experience in the grade immediately below the next higher level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicant must indicate at least 24 months of performing periodic onsite surveys, to determining compliance with applicable occupational safety standards. Preparing or revising safety instructions and guides. Advising personnel of appropriate safety and occupational health measures to control or eliminate hazardous operating processes which may cause mishaps. Investigating mishaps, obtained statements from witnesses, and photographed mishap scenes. Recording circumstances of mishaps and extent of injuries, prepared final report(s) of findings with recommendations to correct the unsafe acts or conditions which caused injuries or property damage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES: Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be further evaluated by the nominating supervisor based on the following competencies considered essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge of safety procedures, principles and methods necessary to independently perform a full range of duties in both industrial and tactical military operations such as, the detection and correction of unsafe conditions in vehicle maintenance shops, warehouses, munitions/hazardous materials handling and storage areas, and offices.
- Skill in determining unsafe acts during range operations, convoy movements, and other military unique tactical operations and to recommend corrective procedures
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies and procedures necessary to independently perform recurring assignments, and to identify, explain, and correct unsafe acts, operations and risks which would cause injury to personnel and damage to equipment/property.
- Knowledge and ability to prepare and conduct formal safety training for supervisors and employees in such subjects as accident investigation, hearing conservation, OSHA compliance management site conservation, respirator protection, lifting techniques, and adverse weather protection.
- Knowledge and skill necessary to evaluate and analyze safety standards and data such as accident frequency, causal factors, survey reports, tactical operations, and to determine effective countermeasure procedures.
- Ability to review construction plans relating to fixed installations to ensure OSHA and other safety code requirements are incorporated in engineering designs.
QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE: Length of time is not of itself qualifying. Candidates' experience should be evaluated on the basis of duties performed rather than strictly on the rank of the individual; however, established compatibility criteria/assignments must be followed. The applicant's record of experience, training, and education must show possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the position to be filled.
SPECIAL NOTE: Per the Labor Relations Management Agreement if there are more than 15 qualified applicants for each position, by category, a KSA board will be convened in accordance with Section 17.8 of the LMRA.
PCS STATEMENT: PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION COSTS WILL NOT BE PAID FOR THIS POSITION.