See below for important information regarding this job.
To qualify for a Firefighter (BLS/Hazmat), your resume and supporting documentation must support:
- Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience that equipped you with the particular competencies to successfully perform the duties of the position, and is directly in or related to this position. To qualify at the GS-07 level, applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 level or equivalent under other pay systems in the Federal service, military or private sector. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements including time-in-grade (General Schedule (GS) positions only), time-after-competitive appointment, minimum qualifications, and any other regulatory requirements by the cut-off/closing date of the announcement. Creditable specialized experience includes:
- Experience performing a full range of firefighting duties such as combating fires, operating
hose lines, making forced entries, and search and rescue.
- Experience conducting hazardous materials offensive operations and decontamination operations.
- Experience performing or assisting in rescue operations.
- Experience performing basic life support at the emergency medical technician basic level.
- Experience determining proper emergency response/equipment needs in an emergency situation.
- Experience driving and operating emergency vehicles.
B. SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR (SPF): Department of Defense (DoD) 6055.06-M, "Fire and Emergency Services Certification Program" identifies the level of performance required for all DoD Fire and Emergency Services personnel. The certifications listed below are the minimum mandatory certification requirements for this position. DoD Incumbents shall possess DoD Certifications, or
equivalent accredited certifications from the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the National Professional Qualifications System (Pro-Board):
* Note: Driver Operator Certification requirements other than Driver Operator - Pumper are determined locally
- Firefighter I & II
- Driver Operator - Pumper
- Hazardous Materials Technician
based on duty assignments.
State of (Ohio, California, Virginia, Pennsylvania) Certifications:
** If you do not possess a certification for the state in which you are applying, you MUST have National Registry
- Emergency Medical Technician - Basic**
certification and be eligible for reciprocity requirements.
Other training requirements that must be obtained within one year of employment and maintained: Emergency
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Certification
- Valid State Driver's License
Vehicle Operator, (EVOC), Driver Operator - Aerial.
C. Minimum Age Requirement:
? Will be less than 37 years of age at the time of appointment.
? Will be 37 years of age or older at the time of appointment, but meet the following:
- Previously served in a DoD Firefighter position that was approved for Special Retirement Coverage and
- After appointment to a DoD Firefighter position, be able to complete a total of 20 years of covered service as a Firefighter by the last day of the month in which you reach age 57.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.