This is the entry level responsible for the discipline and security of an assigned post inside and/or outside a secure facility throughout the states 9 facilities. Work includes acquiring a working knowledge of rules, regulations, procedures, techniques and equipment by completing orientation and on-the-job training. Positions report to a technical supervisor.
Upon satisfactory completion of department promotional standards and job requirements, employees may be eligible to be promoted to the next level.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Maintains control of inmates while escorting individuals or groups within the prison.
- Keeps accurate head counts of inmates in the assigned security post.
- Conducts periodic shakedowns of inmates and searches inmates, visitors, employees, cell blocks and/or other structures for such prohibited items as tools, weapons or other contraband.
- Operates manual and electronic locking systems.
- Enforces all rules, regulations and procedures affecting inmate discipline, security and safety.
- Observes inmate activities to detect unusual or prohibited behavior which may be a threat to the security of the facility or the safety of the inmate, other inmates, employees or visitors.
- Ensures inmates conform to proper standards of care as required for the living areas and personal hygiene.
- Maintains the custody of inmates during transport to other institutions and in the community for court appearances or a variety of appointments.
- Prepares and maintains a daily log and routine reports of activities and incidents on the assigned shift using an automated information system to enter, update, retrieve and report on data.
- May be required to train and care for K-9 including feeding, grooming and kennel maintenance.
- May enter institution as backup in riot control and shakedown activities. May participate in the pursuit of escapees.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Correctional Officer Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- At least 19 and 1/2 years of age.
- Possession of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).