This announcement will remain open until April 27, 2022. Cut-off dates for referral to hiring managers for selection consideration will be established as needed by the agency. The first cut-off date will be Tuesday, May 11, 2021. Due to high volume of applicants, not all applicants will be considered.As a Information Technology Specialist (Information Security), GS-13 you will perform the following duties:
Organizational Location: These positions are located in the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Office of the Chief Information Officer, in Chandler, Arizona, Rio Rico, Arizona, Long Beach, California, Los Angeles, California, San Bernardino, California, San Diego, California, San Francisco, California, Greenwood Village, Colorado, Washington, District of Columbia, Honolulu, Hawaii, Boise, Idaho, Boston, Massachusetts, Fort Snelling, Minnesota, Kansas City, Missouri, Manchester, New Hampshire, Buffalo, New York, Altoona, Pennsylvania, Austin, Texas, Dallas, Texas, Eagle Pass, Texas, Irving, Texas, McAllen, Texas, Midland, Texas, and Tukwila, Washington.
- Defines the scope and level of detail for security plans and policies applicable to the security program;
- Leads implementation activities for projects;
- Assesses new systems design methodologies to improve software quality;
- Resolves integration issues related to the implementation of new systems with the existing infrastructure; and
- Reviews proposed new systems, network, or software designs for potential security risks.
This is a non-bargaining unit position.
Note: One or more positions may be filled using this vacancy announcement. Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Salary: The salary range indicated in this announcement will be adjusted to include locality payment for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
View Common Definitions of terms found in this announcement.
In order to be found minimally qualified for this position, you must meet both the Basic Requirements and Minimum Qualifications as outlined below:
You must have Information Technology related experience, demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification) which demonstrates proficiency in each of the following competencies
- Problem Solving: Identifies IT related problems using a variety of materials or sources; gathers and applies technical information to determine accuracy and relevance to moderately complex problems; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives; makes decisions or recommendations that influence IT policies or programs and applies new developments to previously unresolved problems.
- Oral Communication: Expresses technical information to individuals or groups effectively, considering the audience and nature of the information makes clear and convincing presentations; listens to others, recognizes potential miscommunication, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Customer Service: Works with clients and to assess IT needs, provide expert technical information or assistance, resolve complex or non-routine problems, or satisfy expectations; knowledge of available products and services; committed to providing quality IT products and services.
- Attention to Detail: Meticulous; thoroughly reviews and proofreads various IT related data/information; dedicates focus to accomplish tasks that are complete, precise, and accurate to a given IT situation.
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE BASIC REQUIREMENT, YOU MUST ALSO MEET THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
You qualify for the GS-13 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the federal service, performing duties such as:
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Qualification claims will be subject to verification.
- Applies new information technology security developments to ensure current guidelines are updated accurately;
- Applies project management principles and methods to gain an overview knowledge of future IT enterprise infrastructure;
- Processes engineering concepts to comply with organizational standards;
- Supports implementation of infrastructure to secure and protect the environment.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Current or Former Political Appointees: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR 315.707. Veterans, Peace Corps, VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.