Do you enjoy working in the outdoors? Then join the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources' Elk State Forest, Sizerville Maintenance Complex, and provide skilled work in the operation of equipment and/or vehicles during the maintenance of district facilities. Experience the satisfaction of public service while enjoying professional career growth and numerous promotional opportunities!
!IMPORTANT: YOU MUST APPLY TO THIS VACANCY POSTING, MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE A SCORE. YOUR SCORE IS ONLY VALID FOR THIS SPECIFIC VACANCY. ONCE THIS POSITION IS FILLED, YOUR SCORE IS NO LONGER VALID.
This position operates equipment having a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or greater such as graders, backhoes, bulldozers, dump trucks with trailer and load, road tractors with trailer and load, and high-lifts; operates assigned equipment and tools to maintain a smooth, properly drained road surface, and clear and safe right-of-way; performs maintenance of equipment and tools, and performs manual work when not operating assigned equipment; and assists with snowmobile trail grooming, snow removal, facility security and protection, and the delivery of supplies and equipment. This position also assists in Forest and Wildlife Management activities such as plantings, seeding, pruning and cutting; assists in the prevention, control, and suppression of forest fires; assists in the implementation of controlled burns for the purpose of fuel reduction and forest and wildlife management; and assists in cleaning, maintaining, painting, and repairing State Forest Facilities including buildings, structures, boundaries and trails.
- Full-time seasonal employment
- Irregular work schedule: Monday through Wednesday 7:00am to 5:00pm; Thursday 7:00am to 4:30pm; Friday OFF
- This is a seasonal, full-time position without benefits. The season runs from approximately March until November at which time the employee is placed on leave without pay.
1. Maintain a valid Pennsylvania Drivers License, including at minimum a valid Class A CDL
2. Understand and implement verbal and written instructions
3. Maintain inspection reports of operated equipment
4. Utilize hand tools
5. Read and understand meters, gauges, and color indicators
6. Bend, stoop, climb, and carry sizable items
7. Respond to safety devices and warning sirens
8. Negotiate steep terrain in remote forested areas - day and night
9. Work in varying temperatures and weather conditions
10. Act as a lead worker when assigned Qualifications:
- Must meet PA residency requirement – For more information on ways to meet PA residency requirements, follow the link and click on Residency
- Minimum Experience and Training Requirements - One year of experience as an Equipment Operator A; or two years of experience in the operation of heavy construction and specialized maintenance equipment used at this level with a gross vehicle weight of 32,001 pounds or more; or any equivalent combination of experience or training.
- Necessary Special Requirement - Must possess a valid Class C driver's license
- Condition of Employment - This posting also requires the possession of a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Must be able to perform essential job functions
Veterans: Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, go to www.employment.pa.gov/Additional%20Info/Pages/default.aspx and click the Veterans’ Preference tab or contact us at email@example.com.
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS): 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to be an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity.
- Score valid for this specific posting only
- Score based on information reported on application and supplemental questions
- Provide complete and accurate information or:
- score may be lower than deserved
- application processing may be delayed
- disqualification may result
- May only test once under this announcement
- Email notice of test results provided