Why work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons?
You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. You will find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. We protect public safety by ensuring federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, and provide reentry programming. Employees at correctional facilities perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation.
The Assistant Health System Administrator (AHSA) assists the Health Systems Administrator in managing and directing the activities of a multi-disciplinary team of health care professionals within a correctional facility. The AHSA provides direct supervision to the Health Services staff, and ensures continued compliance with governing regulations.
Along with all other correctional institution employees, incumbent is charged with responsibility for maintaining security of the institution. The staff correctional responsibilities precede all others required by this position and is performed on a regular and recurring basis.
To be considered for the position, you must meet the following qualification requirements.
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; OR LL.M., if related.
Evaluation of Education: Major study–hospital administration, public health administration, or related fields, such as business or public administration with course work in health care administration.
You must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level in federal service. Specialized experience is progressively responsible analytical or administrative, or clinical management or supervisory experience in the health care field. This work may have been performed in an operating health care facility, or a higher organizational echelon with advisory or directional authority over such facilities. Work must have involved a close working relationship with facility managers and analysis and/or coordination administrative, clinical, or other service activities, and provided knowledge of the following:
- Missions, organizations, programs, and requirements of health care delivery systems.
- Regulations and standards of various regulatory and credentialing groups.
- Government-wide, agency, and facility systems and requirements in various administrative areas, such as budget, personnel, and procurement.
Applicants must also possess:
- Management ability to delegate authority, evaluate, and oversee people and programs, recognize and adapt to changing priorities; and
- Knowledge of the interrelationships and interdependencies among various medical and administrative services and programs.
Some examples of the qualifying experience are:
- Experience assisting with managing and directing the activities of a multi-disciplinary team of health care professionals responsible for medical and health services in a healthcare organization.
- Experience in contributing to the establishment of policy and/or program regulatory compliance requirements for a health care entity.
- Knowledge of fiscal management principles and awareness of medical equipment, supplies and service cost.
Special Provision for In-service Placement:
Successful completion of an agency-sponsored on-the-job training program may be substituted for qualifying experience, provided it included a formal individualized training plan. Such a training program must have been conducted in an operating health care system and included:
- Assignments providing a knowledge of basic health system administration philosophies, practices, and procedures, and basic government administrative policies and requirements;
- Practical assignments providing an opportunity to apply health system administration skills and principles (as the individual progresses, work assignments must be characteristic of the grade level to which he or she is assigned); and
- Oversight by an experienced health system administrator with periodic evaluation of the individual's progress and appropriate adjustment of the training program.
Combination of Education & Experience:
Have a combination of education and experience. This experience must have equipped you with the particular qualifications to perform the major duties of this position as described above.
Credit will be given for paid and unpaid experience. To receive proper credit, you must show the actual time (such as number of hours worked per week) spent in the activities.
**Your eligibility for consideration will be based on your responses to the questions in the application.**