The work performed is in a variety of laboratory disciplines, such as microbiology, chemistry (including toxicology), coagulation, hematology, immunology, immunohematology (blood banking), serology, urinalysis, and virology. MT/CLS positions include requirements to monitor quality control systems and measures; to collaborate the diagnosis and treatment of patients; and to provide education for laboratory and other healthcare professionals in the medical center setting, including the public.
- Selects, performs, evaluates, and monitors the performance of test procedures using manual techniques and/or instrumentation in accordance with established protocols.
- Evaluates the suitability of the specimen for analysis.
- Calibrates, standardizes, adjusts and maintains instruments.
- Conducts quality control procedures on equipment, reagents, and products and maintains proper records for quality control reports.
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace.
- Evaluates the validity of data in relation to the test system and accepted assay procedures.
- Performs repeat and/or reflexive tests to clarify or confirm abnormal patient results.
- Perform phlebotomy.