Corrections Carpentry Trade Instructor
Commonwealth of PA
Delaware County, PA
Start the next chapter of your Career! The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections at SCI- Chester is actively seeking a devoted and resourceful Carpentry Trade Instructor. This is journeyman level carpentry trades work in the vocational training of inmates at a state correctional institution.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST APPLY TO THIS VACANCY POSTING, MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE A SCORE. YOUR SCORE IS ONLY VALID FOR THIS SPECIFIC VACANCY. ONCE THIS POSITION IS FILLED, YOUR SCORE IS NO LONGER VALID.
Work Hours: 7:00 am-3:30 pm (40 Hour work week)
This position is eligible for full retirement benefits at age 50 or 55.
The Carpentry Trade Instructor provides on-the-job training and shop instruction for the vocational training of inmates in the carpentry trade. Work involves the instruction of inmates in the practices, methods, and procedures of the carpentry trade by demonstration, explanation, and close supervision during training and work assignments.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Instruct inmates and assist in the maintenance and preventive maintenance of the following: Repair of floors, windows, roofs, locks, screens, spouting, and other wooden structures and equipment that pertain to the carpenter trade.
* Instruct inmates and assist in the installation of new windows, doors, floors, roofs, locks, and screens by utilizing proper carpentry skills and knowledge of teaching practices to insure proper installation and operation.
* Plan and assign work to inmates receiving carpenter training.
* Review and inspect work in progress and upon completion for adherence to carpenter trades standards.
* Issue and collect tools, supplies, and materials required by inmate workers and requisition materials, supplies, and equipment.
If you have the experience and would like to make a difference in your community, the Department of Corrections wants to hear from you!
PA residency requirement
– For more information on ways to meet PA residency requirements, follow the
and click on Residency.
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements:
Five years of experience in general construction or finish carpentry;
completion of an approved apprenticeship in the carpentry trade; OR an equivalent combination of experience and/or training which includes one year of journey level work in the carpentry trade.
Must be able to perform essential job functions
A conditional offer of employment will require submission of criminal history reports. See hiring agency contact information
You must pass a background investigation.
Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, go to
and click the Veterans' Preference tab or contact us at
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS)
: 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to be an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity.
Score valid for this specific posting only
Score based on information reported on application and supplemental questions
Provide complete and accurate information or:
score may be lower than deserved
application processing may be delayed
disqualification may result
May only test
under this announcement
Email notice of test results provided
Share this job