Commonwealth of PA
Dauphin County, PA
This position provides rate and budget support for the Bureau of Fiscal Management.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST APPLY TO THIS VACANCY POSTING, MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE A SCORE. YOUR SCORE IS ONLY VALID FOR THIS SPECIFIC VACANCY. ONCE THIS POSITION IS FILLED, YOUR SCORE IS NO LONGER VALID.
Full-time employment (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM; Monday - Friday; 30 minute lunch period)
The incumbent is located in the Office of Medical Assistance Programs (OMAP), Bureau of Fiscal Management (BFM), Division of HealthChoices Rates, and receives supervision and direction from the Analysis Management Section Supervisor, an Accountant 3. The incumbent performs analytical responsibilities which require a considerable degree of initiative and judgment. Most of the job duties are assigned by geographic zone. Most of the job duties listed below involve preparing and updating enhanced Excel spreadsheets with multiple worksheets, links to other files, complex formulas, and pivot tables. Other Microsoft Office software including Word and Access is also used.
1. Rate Development. For the assigned HealthChoices zones, the incumbent develops capitation rates for the MCOs operating within those zones in accordance with decisions by OMAP and BFM management. Prepares analyses of rate ranges provided by our actuarial consultant. Maintains documentation underlying these calculations. Prepares contract appendices that establish our payment obligation to the MCOs operating within the assigned zones. Assists in explaining and discussing rate projects and components of rates in meetings with DHS management and MCOs.
2. Reporting. Calculates and reports payment obligations created by the HealthChoices agreements including Maximum MCO Pay for Performance amounts, the Hospital Assessment, and Access to Care payments. Maintains documentation underlying these calculations. Drafts correspondence related to these obligations, including answering questions as needed. Prepares Projections of Expenditure for the assigned zones to support the annual CMS Rate Certification.
3. Budget development. Develops assigned zones’ cost estimates to include in the budget requests for the Physical Health portion of the Capitation appropriation. Tracks expenditures in the capitation appropriation.
4. Enrollment Projections. Projects future managed care enrollment for assigned HealthChoices zones. These projections are used for the budget requests, rate setting, waiver cost effectiveness, and other purposes. This entails analyzing enrollment data by geography and demographic factors to discover patterns and trends. Compares projected enrollment to actual results. Determines the reasons for, and the financial impact of the variances.
5. Data Analysis. Compiles assigned zones’ historical enrollment and payment data for use by our actuarial consultant in rate setting and for projecting future enrollment. Organizes and analyzes data which may involve reviewing budget information or applying mathematical, systems, or statistical methods to analyze data in order to draw conclusions, make recommendations and suggest program alternatives for higher level decision making. Analyzes and prepares data used to develop the cost effectiveness portion of the federal waiver requests. Develops written results and documentation of assigned analytical projects for use by upper management and others. Prepares tables and graphs from analysis of data for inclusion in final work products which may be presented orally, in writing, or in the form of narrative or statistical reports.
6. Rate Payment. Participates in meetings related to payment issues. Computes retroactive rate adjustments for assigned zones. Coordinates with other Commonwealth staff to ensure timely activation of rates. Maintains record keeping of the rates inputted to the Payment System.
7. Related duties as required. This includes but is not limited to:
• Developing and maintaining project timelines, to include critical tasks or paths, and evaluating progress toward project goals
• Peer reviewing calculations of other Analysis Management Section or Division staff through proofing steps and documentation
• Preparing ad-hoc reports
PA residency requirement
– For more information on ways to meet PA residency requirements, follow the
and click on Residency
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements -
One year as an Accountant 1;
two years of professional accounting experience, and graduation from a four year college or university, including or supplemented by fifteen credits in accounting. Four years of bookkeeping experience and fifteen college credits in accounting may be substituted for college graduation. A master's degree in accounting or a related field may be substituted for one year of general work experience.
If you are claiming education in your answers to the supplemental application questions, you must attach a copy of your college transcripts for your claim to be accepted toward meeting the minimum requirements. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
If you are provided directions to upload transcripts during the application process, but you cannot currently obtain them due to the temporary educational institution closures, please upload the official response from your institution regarding your request. In addition, if asked to provide transcripts for specific coursework, e.g., 12 credits in social science, you may upload a list of completed courses you believe are qualifying in place of the transcripts. The list must include the name of the school(s), course titles completed with a passing grade, and number of credits for each course. Once you receive a copy of your transcripts, you may send the document(s) and the specific job title and job number to which you applied to
. If selected for a position, you may be required to provide an official transcript to verify educational requirements.
Must be able to perform essential job functions
Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, go to
and click the Veterans' Preference tab or contact us at
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS)
: 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to be an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity.
Score valid for this specific posting only
Score based on information reported on application and supplemental questions
Provide complete and accurate information or:
score may be lower than deserved
application processing may be delayed
disqualification may result
May only test
under this announcement
Email notice of test results provided
Share this job