Physician Assistant- WOPC
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center is looking for a Full Time Physician Assistant to provide Primary Care Services/Women's Health Care at the Williamsport Community Based Outpatient Clinic located in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be offered for this position.
Incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program pending availability of funds.
Telehealth may be available.
1. Care of acute and chronic illness including routine detection, management of diseases and medication management.
2. Preventive care such as age appropriate cancer screening, e.g. colorectal cancer screen.
3. Prevention of osteoporosis and treatment.
4. Smoking Cessation and Weight Management counseling.
5. Alcohol use screen, counseling and referral for treatment.
6. Depression/ PTSD screening, evaluation and referral to Mental Health Clinic as appropriate.
7. Elective referral to specialty care will be at Wilkes-Barre - examples include ophthalmology, podiatry, physical therapy and social work as needed.
8. Designated Women's Health provider at this location providing gender specific care including pelvic/breast exam, contraception counseling, management of menopause related concerns and initial evaluation and management of gender specific concerns.
Financial Discloser Report:
Not requiredTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 02/03/2020. .
United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
The candidate must meet the following:
(1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and
(2) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
1) Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA.
(2) Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5.
. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019, Part II, Appendix A.
English Language Proficiency
. PAs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d). Under no circumstances may this occupation be used to employ physicians or other health care providers who do not meet the applicable qualification standards for their occupation.
In addition to the basic requirements above, the following qualifications criteria must be met in determining the appropriate grade for appointment or promotion eligibility. Requirements for appointment or promotion to a specific grade are based on the candidate's ability to demonstrate the elements described.
. In addition to meeting the basic requirements, individuals appointed to this grade must meet all the following requirements:
Experience / Education. None beyond the basic requirements of this standard.
. In addition to meeting the basic requirements, candidates must meet all requirements described in this standard for Full Grade through VA employment or non-VA PA positions with equivalent scope and complexity. Individuals appointed or advanced to Intermediate Grade will have demonstrated the ability to analyze and solve more complex medical problems and meet the following requirements:
Experience / Education:
(a) 1 year of professional practice as a PA; or
(b) Successful completion of a PA post-graduate residency program accredited by ARC-PA or by the U.S. Armed Forces; or
(c) A Master's degree from a PA training program certified by ARC-PA or in another health-related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
. In addition to meeting the basic requirements, candidates must meet all requirements described in this standard for Intermediate Grade through VA employment or non-VA PA positions with equivalent scope and complexity. Individuals appointed or advanced to Senior Grade will have demonstrated the behaviors or responsibilities listed in one or more of the following categories:
Clinical Proficiency, Education, Professional Development, Management/Administrative, and Research, as applicable to the
Experience / Education:
(a) 3 years of professional practice as a PA; or
(b) 2 years of professional practice as a PA and successful completion of a PA post-graduate residency program accredited by ARC-PA or by the U.S. Armed Forces; or
(c) 2 years of professional practice as a PA and a Master's degree from a PA training program certified by ARC-PA or in another health related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education; or
(d) A Doctoral degree in a health-related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U. S. Department of Education.
References: VA Handbook 5005/78 Part II Appendix G8.
The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-09 - GS-12 .
Heavy lifting (45 pounds and over); heavy carrying (45 pounds and over); pushing (1-2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hand required; walking (up to 6 hours); standing (up to 8 hours); repeated bending (up to 2 hours); both legs required; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); and emotional stability.
Share this job