WHAT IS THE HUMAN CAPITAL OFFICE DIVISION? The HCO mission is to make IRS an employer of choice and a leader in human capital planning and management. It develops strategies and tools for recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a highly skilled and high performing workforce to support the IRS mission.
See Other Information for Locations
WHAT DOES A HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT DO? As a Human Resources Assistant, you will provide clerical, administrative and limited technical support to personnel engaged in personnel management functions such as employee benefits, recruitment and placement, personnel/payroll processing, classification, labor relations, and employee development. In this position you will provide evaluation and analysis involving practices and principles of the assigned program specialty.
As a Human Resources Assistant you will:
- Counsel and provide information to managers and employees, compute benefits, review and assist in preparing required forms.
- Perform classification reviews of clerical and paraprofessional positions and recommend final classification actions.
- Review tentative organizational changes for processing or clerical work units; prepare position descriptions, review requests for Personnel Actions (SF-52s) and input data into automated human resources management systems.
- Prepare vacancy announcements, evaluate qualifications, and review promotion certificates and document selections.
- Schedule and conduct orientation sessions for new employees, respond to inquiries and prepare requests for certificates for rating under direct hire authority.
- Participate in course development activities such as developing project agreements and operational plans, gathering data, conducting task analyses, preparing reports, planning course format and design.
- Use various software programs and automated systems to prepare a variety of documents, revise, calculate, and retrieve data.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GRADE 08 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-7 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: Experience that is in or related to this position and provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position. Examples of qualifying experience may have been gained in positions providing technical support to human resource management functions such as: •Utilizing personnel automated systems and procedures to determine appropriate steps to input unusual personnel actions and to resolve rejected documents. •Utilizing written and oral communication techniques in order to explain complex programs, and to clarify difficult problems. •Applying regulations and requirements relating to basic recruitment and placement and/or employee benefits and labor relations. •Resolving a wide range of complex personnel and employee account problems/issues. This list is not inclusive.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-07 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).